In a business process, Email Notification is used when it is necessary to inform someone about the work progress. For instance, you can set up automatic order shipment notifications or send your customer a contract right after it is approved by your legal department. Also, you can use it to let your staff know when they are assigned an important task.
You can use this element only if the administrator has set up the system to send emails.
Set up a notification
Open the process diagram. Open the Integrations tab of the right pane and drag the Email notification item to the canvas.
Taking the Order fulfillment process as an example let's see how email notifications work. Once the order is packed and ready to be shipped, we have to notify the customer about it. Let's place the Email Notification element right after the Pick and pack order task.
Set up the notification. Enter a name and fill out the form:
- To*. Enter one or several emails of notification recipients. You can also use a context variable, for example, contractor's email. In this case, the system will send the notification to the address specified on the page of the contractor who placed the order. To add a variable, click on the plus symbol + in the right corner of the field.
- Sender name. Fill out this field if you do not want the email address specified in system settings to appear in the notification as the sender's address. You can replace it, for instance, with the name ELMA365 or the name of your company.
- Reply address. By default, replies are sent to the address specified in system settings. If you wish for them to be sent to a different email, enter this email here.
- Subject*. Enter a short and informative subject, for instance, Order is packed and awaiting shipment. Use a context variable to add the order's number if necessary. To add a variable, click on the plus symbol + in the right corner of the field.
- Message*. Enter all the necessary details. Using process variables, you can add a list of purchased products, the total cost, expected delivery date, and so on. To add a variable, click on the plus symbol + in the right corner of the field. If you want to apply formatting, use HTML tags.
- File. Add one or several documents used in the order fulfillment process, for example, the packing slip and the invoice. These documents will be then attached to the email notification.
An error may occur when sending the notification, for example, if ELMA365 fails to determine the recipient's address. Decide how the system should behave in this case.
Go to the Error handling tab.
- Retry. Enable this option if you want the system to try sending the notification again.
- Number of retries. How many attempts should the system make.
- Retry delay (sec). The amount of time the system should wait between attempts.
- Notification. Select this option to inform particular users about the error. You can select between:
- current executor, that is, the person who completed the task preceding the Email Notification element on the process diagram;
- context variable, for example, the Initiator;
- org chart item.
- Interrupt. In case of an error, the process will resume. You need to select a connector to specify which process branch should be activated.
After you specify all the settings, click Save and publish the process.
Once the order is packed and ready for shipment, a notification will be sent to the customer's email. Here is how it might look:
Found a typo? Highlight the text, press ctrl + enter and notify us