A Group chat is a chat with at least three participants. This is a great way to synchronize work in a team, stay up to date with the latest events, share files and quickly resolve business issues.
Starting a group chat
A Group chat is created from the chat with one person. To start chatting with several colleagues at the same time, first, you need to create a private chat (you will learn more about how to do this in this article). Then, use one of the methods described below:
- In the upper right corner, click on the icon
In the search box, start typing the name of a new participant in the conversation. In the drop-down list that opens, select the name of the person you want to add to the chat.
You can also click on the magnifying glass icon in the right corner of the search box to view a list of all users of the system and select new participants (their names will appear under the search bar).
- Another way to create a new group chat is to use @mentions. In the message field @mention the name of a user who has not yet joined the conversation. You will receive an automatic message that will let you start a new group chat.
How to manage group chats
Any participant of a group chat can add and exclude people, change the chat name, disable notifications.
How to add or exclude members?
You can always find out who exactly participates in the conversation if you click on the number of participants to the right of the chat name. To invite a colleague to a chat or exclude someone from the current conversation, you can use one of the following methods:
- Open the list of chat participants and click on the Edit button below the usernames.
- Click the icon in the upper right corner of the chat.
- In the comment @mention the person you want to invite to the conversation. You will be prompted to add him or her to the current chat.
How to rename a group chat?
The name of any group chat by default consists of the names of people participating in the conversation. However, this is not always convenient. To easily find a conversation, it is preferable to give it a meaningful name.
To rename a chat, click on the pencil icon next to the number of participants, the name will become editable.
If you want to disable pop-up notifications on new messages in the chat, click on the speaker icon to the right of the chat name.
Messaging in group chats
You send and receive messages in group chats in the same way as in a private chat. This article describes how to share files with other chat participants, get notifications about new messages, and search through chat rooms.