In any company, there are employees who perform similar tasks or stand at the same level in the corporate hierarchy. In this case, adding them to groups and configuring access permissions for the groups (not the individuals) might be a great option.
For example, you can allow access to a folder with reports only to a group of users that includes department heads.
Each user can be added to multiple groups. When you add a user to a group, they automatically inherit the access permissions of the group.
Note that the user included in a group has a combination of permissions. It means that they have personal access permissions and also group permissions.
There are custom and system groups.
The System groups include:
- Administrators. Users that have access to all the system settings.
- All users. Does not appear in the list of groups; includes all users of the system.
Custom groups are created by administrators.
How to create a group?
Only users included in the Administrators group can add or edit groups.
To add a new group, go to Administration > Groups. In the upper right corner, click on the +Group button.
In the pop-up window, fill in the required fields.
- Name*. The name that will be shown in the list of groups;
- Description. Description of groups;
- Default group. If the box is set to «Yes», all new users will be added to this group automatically;
- List of group participants. You can add users, groups and org chart items to the group.
Once the fields are filled out, save the group.
You can also create groups in workspaces and apps.
How to edit a group?
To edit a group, go to Administration > Groups, select a group and click the Edit button. Make changes and click Save.
How to add a user to a group?
There are two ways to add a user to a group:
1. Click on the group name > click on the Edit button > select a new user in the List of group participants field.