You can create user groups and assign users to roles in workspaces and apps.
With groups and roles you can:
- manage access to an app and its items;
- manage the visibility of workspaces and apps;
- define executors of a static swimlane in a business process.
Groups and roles created in an app cannot be used for setting up the visibility of a workspace.
When several employees perform similar tasks in an app or a workspace, you can unite them in a user group for easier access and security management.
Consider a Sales Department, where some employees only work with organizations and others only with individuals. You can create two user groups and give one of them access to the Organziations app, and give the other group access to the Individuals app of the Contractors workspace. It is easier and faster than configuring access for each employee individually.
You can also use groups when modeling the company's processes and assign process tasks to specific user groups.
Roles work in a similar way as groups, but only one user or an org. chart item can be assigned to a role. When a workspace or an app is exported, the roles are exported with it. If it is imported into another company, new users can be assigned to the roles.
Consider the following example: in your company, all incoming documents are registered by the secretary. In a different company, this work is performed by a records manager. In the Documents workspace, assign the secretary to the Document Registration role and assign corresponding access permissions to the E-mails, Agreements, and Certificates apps. When this workspace is imported to the other company, their records manager will be assigned to the Document Registration role instead of the secretary. All the access settings will remain the same.
If instead of using roles you assign access permission to a specific employee and include him or her in business process tasks, these settings will not be saved when importing the workspace or app.
Only the users included in the Administrators group can create and edit groups and roles in workspaces and apps.
To create a group or a role in a workspace, click the gear icon next to the workspace's name and select Groups in the menu.
The list of groups and roles will open. To add a new group or role, click + Group.
Fill in the fields in the provided form:
- Name. The name that will be displayed in the group list, for example, "Invoice approval". This field is required.
- Description. Describe the purpose of the group, for example, "users that can approve invoices".
- Select one of the two available types: Role or Group:
- Only one user or an org. chart item can be assigned to a role. In business processes, roles are used only in static swimlanes;
- A group can unite several users, groups or org. chart items. In business processes, groups are used only in static swimlanes.
- If needed, mark this group as the default group in which all new users will be automatically included.
- Add users, other groups or org. chart items to the list of group participants. To do that, either start typing the name of the user, group or org.chart item in the provided field or click and select the required items in the provided window. One user can be included in several groups.
After having filled out all the fields, click Save to apply changes. The group or role will appear in the list.
Creating groups and roles in an app
Click the gear icon next to the app's name and select Groups and Roles.
The following steps are similar to those when creating a group or a role in a workspace.
Editing group settings
You can edit the name, description, and the list of group participants. The type cannot be changed. Go to the list of groups and click on the group's or role's name to open its page. Then click Edit.
In the provided editing window you can make and save changes.
Found a typo? Highlight the text, press ctrl + enter and notify us