To configure permissions for each app item individually, you first need to set permissions common for all app items in an app. After that, you will be able to grant or restrict access for different users on app items’ pages.
Only users with the Assign Permissions access type can grant or restrict permissions to specific app items.
Before you configure access to specific app items, note that:
- The users you wish to grant additional permissions is included in the groups that have access to the workspace and access to the app. If an employee is not included in the group specified in the workspace’s and app’s settings, they won’t be able to see the app in the left menu or access it via a direct link. Nevertheless, the employee can open specific app items using direct links and work with them according to the access settings.
- If you select this option, access permissions set up for folders will still be displayed in the settings, however, they will only affect the visibility of the folders, and other permissions set for folders will be ignored. Read more about it in Access settings combinations.
Setting general permissions
No matter which restriction option you choose, permissions common for all items are set up the same way:
- Click the gear icon to the right of the app’s name and select Access Settings.
- Enable the following options: Restrict access to data > Restrict access to app items.
- Select who you want to assign permissions to. To do that, click the +Add button. This can be:
Note that if you added an App property to the table, it will be used as a parameter for advanced search. You won’t be able to disable the Search and sort by field option for this property.
- Tick the access types you want to grant and click Save.
Note that general settings are automatically applied to all items created in the app. They cannot be revoked.
The Contracts app includes the context variable Responsible of the Users type. Let’s configure the settings so that the CCO and the CFO can see all contracts, and other employees see only contracts they are responsible for. To do that:
Now the author won’t be able to view or edit a Contracts app item. Only the CCO and the CFO have full access to all items. They can open a contract and select a user in the Responsible field. Only this user will be able to view and edit the contract’s page.
Setting permissions for individual items
To set up access to a specific item:
- Go to the app and open the page of the app item you need to configure access for.
- Click the lock icon in the upper right corner.
In the window the opens you will see two sections:
- Common permissions for app items.
In this section, you will see access settings applied to all items of the app. Settings specified here cannot be revoked.
- Specific permissions.
Here you can grant access to the app item to someone who is not specified in the first section.
- Specify who you want to set additional permissions for. To do that, click the +Add button. You can choose a user, a group, or an org chart item.
- Tick the types of access permissions you want to grant and click Save.
Found a typo? Highlight the text, press ctrl + enter and notify us