Any organization has its hierarchy of authority that describes the responsibilities and privileges of employees. Each employee has a specific role in the company and a level of access to information.
In ELMA365 you can specify who is allowed to view, edit or delete files and folders, as well as change their access settings.
How to manage access
You can change access settings if you are a system administrator, the creator of the file or a folder, or if you are allowed to assign permissions.
In the list of files and folders, select an item and open the menu with available actions. To do this, click on the three dots icon to the right of the file or folder name.
Alternatively, click the arrow icon next to the folder name in the breadcrumbs path, and then select Manage access.
The window that opens is divided into two parts: parent folder permissions and specific permissions.
- Parent folder permissions.
By default, all new files and folders inherit the permissions of the parent folder. They are displayed in the upper part of the window and cannot be edited, but you can deselect the option of inheriting parent permissions.
- Specific permissions.
Here you can give access to a folder or document to someone else, except for the employees listed above. To do this, click on the + Add button. In the window that opens, select a user, a group of employees, or an item of the organizational chart.
After having selected an object, specify the access permissions and click Save.
Types of access permissions
Access permissions define actions that you and your colleagues can perform with a file or folder:
- View/Read. Allowed to view the file/folder, as well as download file versions to the computer.
- Create. Allowed to create files in the current folder. This option is available only for folders.
- Edit. Allowed to make changes to the file contents, add versions, rename and move folders/files, create links.
- Delete. Allowed to move the file to the recycle bin. This option is only available for files.
- Assign Permissions. Allowed to give and restrict access to the file/folder.
- Full Access. All the above actions are allowed.
By default, the following people have full access to the file or folder:
- Users who created the file or folder
- Manager of the user who created the folder/file (according to the organizational chart)
Access to files in the app item activity stream
You can attach a file to an an app item activity stream. To do that drag the file from a folder on your computer to the comment box or click the icon below it. The file will only be available for preview and downloading to those users who have access permissions for the app item. To learn more see Restrict access to specific app items.
Found a typo? Highlight the text, press ctrl + enter and notify us