When a lead’s status changes, it moves from one stage of the pipeline to another. Statuses can be assigned manually or within business processes. This depends on a pipeline’s settings.
By default, the following statuses are available for leads:
- New. A newly added lead.
- Processing. Work with the lead is in progress, a sales rep is nurturing the deal.
- Qualified. Assign this status if the client is ready to buy. You can create a new deal or a new company.
- Unqualified. Assign this status if the customer is no longer interested in buying and specify the reason the lead can’t be qualified. For example, the client may not respond or lose interest in the product. When this status is assigned, all CRM tasks associated with the lead are automatically finished.
Change a lead’s status
In a pipeline’s settings, you can set the method used for changing leads’ statuses:
- Leads progress according to a business process. Leads will move from one pipeline stage to another automatically when a user finishes a task assigned to them within a business process.
- Sales rep changes lead status manually. Users manually set leads’ statuses as certain stages are completed.
A lead’s status can be changed manually in one of the following ways:
On the pipeline page, in the Kanban board view, drag the lead from one stage to another. The lead can only be moved forward.
Open the lead’s page and click the Change button. Select a new status from the drop-down list.
- By clicking a button at the bottom of the lead’s page.
If the lead’s status is Processing, you can move it to the next stage by clicking one of the buttons on its page:
- Qualify. This button starts the lead qualification business process. During the process, you can convert the lead into a deal or a company.
- Do not qualify. Click this button to finish working with the lead.
When you change the status to Unqualified using any of the methods, you can also specify the reason why the lead was lost. Read more about it in the Lead pipelines article.
Lead final statuses
The Qualified and Unqualified statuses are final. You can customize how the leads with these statuses are displayed in pipelines.
By default, unqualified leads are not shown in pipelines. To make them visible, go to the pipeline settings and click the icon next to a status’s name.
Alternatively, you can view leads with final statuses by using pre-configured filters. To do that, open the pipeline you need. In the search bar at the top of the page, click the Search by parameters icon.
On the right side of the window that opens select one of the pre-configured filters.
When a potential customer is ready to buy you can convert the lead into a deal and continue working on it.
To do this, you need to start the lead qualification business process by changing the lead’s status to Qualified. To do that:
- Open the lead’s page.
- On the bottom panel, click Qualify.
- In the window that opens, enter the qualification data:
- Company*. Associate a company with the lead and the new deal. Choose an existing company by clicking the magnifying glass icon or click the +Create button to create a new one.
- Industries / Company size. Fill out these fields with entries from the CRM directories Industries and Company sizes.
- Qualification type*. Select one of the available options from the drop-down list:
- Create Deal and Company. If this option is selected, you also need to specify the pipeline to which the new deal will be added.
- Create Only Company. Select this option if the deal is postponed. You can add the deal later directly from the lead’s or company’s page. by clicking the button on the side panel next to the Deal field.
- When you finish filling out the form, click Qualify.
Note that when you change a lead’s status to Qualified by dragging it to another column or by selecting this status in the sidebar, the responsible sales rep needs to fill out the lead qualification data in a task assigned to them.
When a lead is qualified, it is no longer possible to change its status. Sales reps continue working on the lead within the new deal.
Customize the lead qualification process
Lead qualification is a system process. It cannot be modified. However, you can make a copy of the process and customize this copy according to your company’s requirements.
To do this:
- Go to Administration > Business processes and select the qualification process from the list.
- Click on the three dots icon to the right of the process name and select Create Copy.
- In the Parent category field of the window that opens, select the workspace where the business process will be saved.
After that, you can open the copy of the process and edit it according to your needs.
The customized process can be associated with the Qualified stage of a pipeline. Read more about starting a process upon status change in the Lead pipeline article.
Change the final status
By default, after you assign one of the final statuses to a lead, it cannot be changed. However, if you want to start working with a lead again, you can do it with the Change Status button.
Only users included in the Administrators group can add or remove the Change status button.
To add the button, open a lead’s page and click the gear icon in the bottom left corner.
To the right of the default buttons, the sign will appear. Click it and select Add the “Change Status” button.
The button will be added to the lead’s page. Users who have the permission to edit leads will be able to change the final status to any of the previous ones.
Read more about adding buttons in the Customize buttons on app item pages article.
Found a typo? Highlight the text, press ctrl + enter and notify us