Sometimes you might have two or more app items with the same data, such as deal, customer, or contact records. These items are called duplicates. Duplicates appear when, for example, a sales rep adds a new customer record to ELMA365, yet this customer has already been added to the database by someone else.
To avoid confusion, the system provides duplicates detection. There are two ways it can be used:
- Find duplicates when creating a new app item. When a user creates a new app item, the system checks whether it is a duplicate or not using defined rules. If there are overlaps, for example, the contacts are the same, the system notifies the user. After that, the user can decide what to do next: delete the duplicate or keep it in the system as a separate item.
- Find duplicates among existing app items. This option is convenient for apps where items are added automatically, such as the Leads app, where new client profiles are added directly from an external site. The search is performed through the entire app. The Administrator can start it manually or configure automatic start in the duplicate settings.
This article will describe how users deal with duplicates in the system how duplicates are detected when new items are created, and how a previously created item can be marked as a duplicate
You can read more about duplicate rules in the “Duplicate search settings” article.
The search for duplicates within an app is described in the “Manual search for duplicates” article.
Finding duplicates when creating a new app item.
When an employee creates a new app item, it is compared with existing ones according to the rule you’ve defined. If there are matches, for example, different customers have the same contact phone number, the employee will see a window with a list of matches.
The employee can open each item in this list to see whether the new item actually duplicates it.
There are two buttons below the list of entries:
- Save. The new app item will be added to the system, and it will not be considered a duplicate;
- Cancel. If the new item duplicates an existing one, you can cancel its creation. The item will not be added to the application.
If an employee saved such an item, deciding that it is not a duplicate, later you will be able to mark it as a duplicate.
Mark the existing item as a duplicate
This option is convenient to use if when creating an item you saved it despite the warning of the system about a possible duplicate or if the item was created automatically, for example, through a business process.
If the Duplicates widget is placed on the item’s form, you’ll see the No matches found a label on the item’s page side-panel. Next to it, you will see the “Mark as duplicate?” button.
By using it, you can mark the item as duplicate manually:
- Click the “Mark as duplicate?” button.
- Click the +Add item button. Then select app items from the list with which you want to compare the current item with.
- In the left column, select the app item to which you want to bind the duplicate. After that, additional buttons will appear for processing.
- If you want to merge the duplicate and the original item, click the Merge button. In the window that opens, configure the mapping table, and click the Merge button.
The merge result will be displayed on the mapped items pages. The side panel of the original item will contain the names of all its duplicates.
The duplicate page will indicate that the item has been merged with another one.
- Click the Not a duplicate button to confirm that the item is not a duplicate.
- Click the +Add item button to add one more item to the list and map the duplicate onto them.