The following types of tasks are available in projects:
- Task. A standard task with a deadline. Marked light blue in the chart.
- Milestone. A milestone is created on the project step where it is necessary to check the results of tasks completed on time. For this type of assignment you only need to specify the start date. In the chart it is shown as a purple diamond shape.
Tasks and Milestones are assigned to their executors after the project plan is published. The assignments can then be viewed:
- Process. You can select a business process to run at a certain step of the plan. This type of task is marked orange in the chart, and can only be viewed in the project plan.
When creating a task of the Process type, you need to specify additional data: context, business process, variable, input process parameters.
If sequential execution is set up for the Process type task, it will start immediately after the previous task is completed but not earlier.
Note that if the process does not start automatically at the specified date, you can start it manually. To do that, go to the project plan and open the Process task page. In the Linked process field, click on the Start Process Task from Project Plan Element widget.
- Stage task. This type of task is used to group tasks of other types in the plan. Its duration equals the duration of all the grouped tasks. In the chart it is marked green. A task of this type can only be viewed in the project plan. A stage task is considered completed when all the tasks that it includes are completed.
There are two ways to add a new task to the project plan:
- Click on the plus icon in the left-hand side of the chart and fill out the form.
- Enter a name in the Task field and press Enter. A task created this way has a default start date, it's preselected type is Task, and its creator is assigned as the task executor. Later on you can edit these fields if necessary.
When using the first method, the task creation form looks as follows:
Fill out the fields in General information and Deadline sections.
The default type is Task but you can select a different option. The Duration (days) field is filled out automatically.
If you are creating a Milestone, the Deadline section will only feature the Start date* field.
When you are creating a task of the Process type, an additional Business Process section appears on the form:
- Context. Select the item to be used in the process instance: Current Project, Current Project Plan, Current Project Plan Element. The fields of this item will be used as values of the process context variables;
- Business process. Specify the process that must run when the project reaches the start date of this task;
- Link with field. Specify the process context variables that the item selected in the Context field will be sent to;
- Configure input parameters. Map the process input variables with the properties of the item selected in the Context field.
Add a subtask
After you have filled out the fields and saved the task it appears in the chart. The left column shows the tasks as a list, and the right column shows them as colored bars.
Now you can add subtask for the main task. To do that, click the plus sign + next to its name.
After you have added all the tasks, set up their order or execution. To do that, define the dependencies between them. To learn more, see Link project plan tasks.
Found a typo? Highlight the text, press ctrl + enter and notify us